Share | 

Rant of the day: I need a new job!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alana

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Rant of the day: I need a new job!!!   Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:52 pm

I'm a sunday supervisor where I work. The managers are the only full-time members of staff. I work 24 hrs. My job is to hold the store every sunday, and occasional day through the week to give a manager the day off or whatever. Today was one of those days, as my Manager is in France, I was in charge today to give the Assisstant Manager her day off! First phonecall was about 20 mins to opening time, one of the girls was calling in sick. I had to get the girl who was coming in at 11am to start early, but that was OK. I couldn't open the store til she arrived but not a huge problem.

Next problem with the girl doing the afternoon shift. She came in early, turned out that the Assisstant Manager (who's pretty useless in my opinion) had changed her hours without telling her. She couldn't come in later b/c she has a little boy, and had no one to look after him. So it was me and Sarah from 9am - 6pm by ourselves. Trying to arrange breaks and lounch hours was not easy!

At 4.30pm I got another phonecall. This time from the Assisstant Manager's mother saying that Steph had been to the doctor's and was referred to the hospital where she's being kept in overnight. Why? She's run down and hasn't eaten much recently! Oh, and she'll probably be off for the next few days!!!

Turns out Steph has a history of depression. Nothing like that was mentioned when she started the job. and I don't know about the US and Canada, but here, withholding that kind of information is a sackable offence. I can understand why she didn't bring it up, but if it had been mentioned we would have known what we were dealing with. (I'm also beginning to wonder if it isn't mostly just attention seeking and that's why it wasn't brought up at her interview)

So instead of two 4hr shifts, two days off, then a full day Saturday, I'm now working 3 full days, 1 day off then another full day. I'm not qualified to run the store all week, I can't be in charge on delivery days (wed and Fri), I've never done the banking before (Thu morning) and I've never been in charge on a Saturday either. It's our busiest day!

And all that for minimum wage!!!

*sigh* Wish me luck girls!!
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Number of posts : 275

PostSubject: Re: Rant of the day: I need a new job!!!   Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:58 pm

You don't need luck... you need a visit from Ben w/a bottle of booze!!

((HUGS))

I know your pain tho. I was assistant manager for a store in a mall. I had a love hate relationship there. Loved the store...hated the useless co-employees! i was ALWAYS covering for!
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/TammyLafontaine
Alana

PostSubject: Re: Rant of the day: I need a new job!!!   Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:05 pm

Tammy wrote:
You don't need luck... you need a visit from Ben w/a bottle of booze!!

((HUGS))

I know your pain tho. I was assistant manager for a store in a mall. I had a love hate relationship there. Loved the store...hated the useless co-employees! i was ALWAYS covering for!

Oooh, that sounds much better!

Yeah, retail sucks! There's not anything else here at the moment though, the massive Woolworths shop next door to us just closed down - a name that had been on our streets for decades! Scary that so many jobs are being lost.
Back to top Go down
mandy
Admin

Number of posts : 384

PostSubject: Re: Rant of the day: I need a new job!!!   Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:29 pm

Hugs to you sweetie, thats so horrible, I had a job like that once, and in the end I left, i got so fed up with that kind of stuff!!

Hope you're ok x
Back to top Go down
pickles916

Number of posts : 78

PostSubject: Re: Rant of the day: I need a new job!!!   Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:02 pm

Geez ... how come people have become so unreliable these days... I was taught that when you take on the responsiblity of a job then you take it seriously. Good luck hon... hope you get through the week without killing someone.
We are always here for ya
Back to top Go down
Charla85

Number of posts : 600

PostSubject: Re: Rant of the day: I need a new job!!!   Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:34 am

Alana I know what you mean and if I had the time I'd rant about my job too. It sucks and I'll tell ya why later, I hope you find yourself a better job soon honey!!
Back to top Go down
Alana

PostSubject: Re: Rant of the day: I need a new job!!!   Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:53 pm

Charla85 wrote:
Alana I know what you mean and if I had the time I'd rant about my job too. It sucks and I'll tell ya why later, I hope you find yourself a better job soon honey!!

If only we could win the lottery! That would solve a whole load of problems!

Thanks for the support everyone! You guys rock!
Back to top Go down
Charla85

PostSubject: Re: Rant of the day: I need a new job!!!   Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:58 pm

Ain't that the thurth! But then you've got to have it to play it and I ain't got it! LOL!
Back to top Go down
Alana

PostSubject: Re: Rant of the day: I need a new job!!!   Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:02 pm

Charla85 wrote:
Ain't that the thurth! But then you've got to have it to play it and I ain't got it! LOL!

Yeah, I don't really have the money to buy the ticket in the first place....and I don't like being ID'd when I buy a ticket. You have to be 16 to buy them! I know I don't look my age but surely I don't look 15!
Back to top Go down
Charla85

PostSubject: Re: Rant of the day: I need a new job!!!   Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:07 pm

LOL!!! I've always looked older than I am, when I was 14 people thought I was 18 or 19 LOL!! It was too funny!
Back to top Go down
Alana

PostSubject: Re: Rant of the day: I need a new job!!!   Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:09 pm

My sister's like that! She takes after dad's side of the family, she's just turned 16 but could easily pass for 20!
Back to top Go down
Charla85

PostSubject: Re: Rant of the day: I need a new job!!!   Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:11 pm

Oh, I know that feeling I didn't get carded for a club, liquer, or smokes until a couple of months ago, several years AFTER I had been doin any of these things!
Back to top Go down
Nataly
Admin

Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Rant of the day: I need a new job!!!   Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:32 pm

ye need a dose o' Captain Morgan matey lol, I feel bad for you hopefully you'll find a better job with better pay.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rant of the day: I need a new job!!!   

Back to top Go down

Rant of the day: I need a new job!!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1